Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Windsor Castle

"It's so weird to see you in my country," was the greeting I received from my friend Jason who I met up with in London for a day of sightseeing at Windsor castle. Jason and I worked at a church camp together two years ago in the states. It is slightly surreal to see people out of the environment that your memory places them in. It was really awesome to catch up with an old friend and share with each other what God had been doing in our lives over the past two years.

The medieval castle of Windsor is nestled in the countryside just an hour outside of London, and has long been known as the Queen's preferred weekend home. Although I was not as fortunate as to be graced by Her Royal Majesty's presence on my visit there, Windsor did hold some pleasant surprises. First of all, Windsor is in the same town which is home to Eton College (only the most famous boy's school in the world). The famous state rooms in the castle are also extremely impressive. However, my favorite part of Windsor was St. George's Chapel. What is so famous about the chapel? Well, apparently not all Kings and Queens are buried in Westminster Abbey. Some of the most famous members of the royal family are buried in St. Georges Chapel; including Henry VIII, one of his many wives Jane Seymour, and King George VI (as in the King's Speech). The day of sight-seeing concluded with a brief visit to the Tate Britain where I was able to see a few famous paintings, including a collection by J.W. Turner. 





No comments:

Post a Comment