Thursday, July 21, 2011

Farewell Canterbury

The history of Canterbury stretches from the  original Britons (a Celtic tribe), through a Roman occupation, and up to the present day. But Canterbury is probably most well known for it's Cathedral and being a famous destination for pilgrims during the Middle Ages. Although to present day Christians, the idea of a religious pilgrimage seems foreign and irrelevant, I think there is something to gain from the idea of a pilgrimage. Maybe with the busyness and constant distraction in the modern age we forget about "the search" (Percy again, I know). Somehow the pursuit of God and seeking Him always  takes a back burner.

As I strolled around the streets of Canterbury for what would be the last time the idea of pilgrims and a journey was very much on my mind. The once foreign winding cobbled streets have become familiar and filled with memories. 8 weeks is not a very long time. In some ways I struggle to  say that I have changed dramatically, but at the same time I don't feel like I am the same girl who first  came to this charming city. 

 I passed by the Cathedral, Westgate towers, and my favorite café's on high street and I thought about the people of this city. Even with all it's quaint English country charm, the city of Canterbury still desperately needs Jesus. My prayer is that the people of Canterbury will not be satisfied with the riches and material things the city and world have to offer them, no matter how enchanting they truly are, and that they seek Jesus. In fact, that is my prayer for myself as well... that my heart will not be satisfied with the beauty of this world but only let what is beautiful here be a vehicle or stepping stone to Him who is infinitely more beautiful than our minds can comprehend. I am thankful for the people I've met in this city, the church members, pastors and students who are passionate about seeking Jesus and showing His love to Canterbury.

"We were made for God. Only by being in some respect like Him, only by being a manifestation of His beauty, loving-kindness, wisdom or goodness, has any earthly Beloved excited our love. It is not that we have loved them too much, but that we did not understand what we were loving. It is not that we shall be asked [in heaven] to turn from them, so dearly familiar, to a Stranger. When we see the face of God we shall know that we have always know it. He has been a party to, has made, sustained, and moved moment by moment within, all our earthly experiences of innocent love.  All that was true love in them was, even on earth, far more His than ours, and ours only because His."  C.S. Lewis



1 comment:

  1. AMEN! :) Great post, Betsy! And thanks for sharing your "Canterbury pilgrimage" with us.

    ReplyDelete