Over the past couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about systematic theology and doctrine. I know, I'm a little weird... but I promise you this isn't an entirely random train of thought. While I've been in England I have been challenged in several ways. Almost all the churches I've visited here have been very charismatic and Pentecostal in nature. And I don't just mean charismatic in worship style; but actually speaking in tongues, prophecy, and visions -- the whole lot. My first thought when encountering this was something like "The paper I wrote on the Pentecostal church in RELI 342 did not exactly prepare me for this." In some ways I've been forced to get my beliefs about issues such as speaking in tongues in the church today, "sorted."
Let me backtrack slightly. After two years at Grove City College with a major in Biblical and Religious studies, I've experienced both the positive and negative effects of pursuing an intellectual faith. In many ways I have experienced the blessings of understanding a bit more about what it means to "love the Lord your God with all your mind…" There is something to be said about the relationship between intellect ,understanding God, and worshipping Him with our minds. I cannot express how what I have learned in my religion classes over the past two years has strengthened my understanding of the Gospel.
However, there can be negative effects to pursuing such an intellectual faith and I have found myself becoming all too familiar with them. With the constant examination of scripture and rationalizing of doctrine, faith can become more cold and analytical. The words and sayings you use become hollow and empty. I can throw out phrases like "substitutionary atonement" and enter into theological debates, but at the same time doubt if my heart is truly on fire for God. This constant tension between the knowledge in your head and the lack of faith in your heart can be exhausting. The disconnect between what you believe but cannot feel, and the apathy that often settles leaves you yearning for the "childlike faith" you once had. What do you do?
Are we too systematized? Do we choose to react to this struggle by running as far away from doctrine and theology as we can? It is not a new question.
I am not naïve enough to believe I have the solution to the "Are we too systematized?" question, but I think balance has something to do with it. There is a balance between loving God with our heart, soul, mind, and strength. How exactly do we find that balance? I'll let you know when I figure it out ;)
It was Martin Luther who said "Crux sola est nostra theologia." It means , "The cross alone is our theology." I like that. That is my anchor when I find myself drowning in the dichotomy between the faith in my head and the doubt in my heart. Alister McGrath says in the book Mere Theology that "Luther's theology of the cross recognizes the essential darkness in which faith finds itself...Yet God remains present in this darkness, transcending both our capacity to discern him, and our willingness to trust him."
The Lord creates everyone with secial gifts locked inside them. The spiritual gifts are released when Jesus Christ becomes Lord. Peter was an extremely gifted man, yet he had difficulty with Paul's understanding and revelation until he was older in the faith. The two were ressponsible for leading people to faith in Jesus Christ and mentoring them -- growing in Christ. You have intellect and raw emotion as foundational principles. The prophetic gives us hope. Hope produces love. Love leads us to Christ and others to Him.
ReplyDelete