"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." So goes the opening line of Jane Austen's most famous novel Pride and Prejudice. I think Grove City has adapted this phrase to something like, "It is a truth universally acknowledged that any single Christian man attending Grove City College must be in want of a godly, beautiful, well-rounded, intelligent wife." Oh the irony of exaggeration with a hint of truth!
Friday evening was spent at Goodnestone Gardens, a manor home and garden in Kent, where I saw an outdoor performance of Pride & Prejudice. Guests packed picnic dinners and the evening was full of wit, wisdom, and wine. Not only was it beautiful to see this classic performed with a beautiful period house and garden as the backdrop, but the very estate we were at was a frequent destination of Miss Austen herself whose brother married one of the daughters of the estate. If I could just take a brief moment to digress and share that I have the same Myers-Briggs personality type as the main character of Pride & Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennett. I'm not kidding. I read an academic paper on this theory… Perhaps I will find my Mr. Darcy whilst in England.
What I like most about Miss Austen's writing is her observation of human nature. She is able to present the complexity of a character, showing their flaws humorously while still making poignant commentary on life and society.
Austen got me thinking about wisdom... wisdom and experience. I think one of the biggest frustrations for me on this trip has been my lack of knowledge about everything. Nothing like living in a foreign country to show you everything about life that you don't know! I don't think I have ever felt so young and naive. I have always thought of myself as responsible and mature... I have since been humbled. I have a feeling that I really don't know what responsibility is and probably won't until I'm living on my own (and paying my own bills). It is an interesting dichotomy, independence and responsibility. As much as I crave independence and the freedom it brings, I think I have begun to see it more realistically and a little less idealistically. Independence certainly breeds life experience, and experience wisdom.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." James 1:2-5
No comments:
Post a Comment