On Sunday England decided to show me it's typical rainy and blustery weather on the day I decided to take a trip to the sea. Go figure. The manager of the bookshop Paul, and his wife Kay, invited me to their home in Herne bay, a seaside community about 8 miles outside of Canterbury. Herne Bay is built on a hill with old tall Georgian style homes, a pier and dance hall that remind you of the big band days of the 50s (it might have also been Sinatra playing on the radio that also added to the retro feel). Although the walk I took along the sea shore was not exactly ideal ( the skies were gray with rain and the waves were billowing and rough), it felt very English in a dark, Wuthering Heights sort of way.
Paul and Kay live in a cozy bungalow only 3 minutes from the shore that has a beautiful garden (they joined CLC ministries 13 years ago after retiring from their own garden center store). They are the type of people who make you feel at home as soon as you meet them with their warm and caring personalities. I already feel as if I now have a set of English grandparents. Their service to the ministry and the way they have served me on my trip thus far, is most impressionable. They are humble, hard working, and frequently speak of what a privilege it is to serve the Lord on the mission field. I look forward to time I spend working with them and serving them this summer.
Romans 12:9-13
"Let love be genuine...love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality."
No comments:
Post a Comment