"What are men compared to rocks and mountains?" was the quote by Jane Austen that came to mind when viewing the infamous White Cliffs of Dover. Although I believe in Pride and Prejudice this comment was made out bitterness toward Mr. Darcy (let us not forget what a pretentious, arrogant jerk he is for most of the novel), I could not help but hear an echo of Psalm 8 "What is man that you are mindful of him? " It is easy to spout of words about God and His glory, but often (for those of us who grew up in the church), the words can start to lose their meaning, becoming empty, religious phrases. We in our pride forget that before God the mountains melt like wax (Psalm 97). Sometimes, it is creation itself that sings His praises and puts us back in our place. It is C.S. Lewis said in The Four Loves "Nature never taught me that there exists a God of glory and of infinite majesty… But nature gave the word glory a meaning for me. I still do not know where else I could have found one."

Ah, what a great post, Betsy! Sometimes I don't want to use words like "holy" and "glorious" and "awesome" because they seem too big and full for me to understand. Then maybe I'll see leaves so bright that they appear to be buzzing with color, and what else can I call it but glorious?
ReplyDelete